Oracle asked many linux distros to remove their JDK package from their repositories, the latest version was 6.0u26, now the latest is the update 35.
In order to get in installed in Debian Sid, some easy steps must be followed.
1. Download the latest JDK from Oracle Website
2. Install debian package java-package
#aptitude install java-package
3. Let run the command to get our downloaded bin file converted into a debian package (this has to be made as a normal user, not root:
$fakeroot make-jpkg jdk-6u35-linux-x64.bin
4. Let’s install our new debian package:
#dpkg -i oracle-j2sdk1.6_1.6.0+update35_amd64.deb
5. Now let’s update our alternatives:
#update-java-alternatives -s j2sdk1.6-oracle
6. Let’s make sure that we now have our Oracle JDK:
This should be our output:
$java -version java version "1.6.0_35" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_35-b10) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.10-b01, mixed mode)
If we get this, then we got it right.
Hope that works for you.